Monday, October 5, 2015

Growing up my mother taught me the importance of humility. It was drilled into me. Looking back now I understand why. I was a rather sassy, self-confident child and I inherently believed that I was exceptional. I loved to sing and I noticed that other people thought I had a nice voice too. I grew up hearing the words "gifted" and "gift" frequently. There is a certain way you carry yourself when you hear those words alot. However, being so young I didn't realize that I wasn't the only "gifted" child in the world. I would become upset when I would see other cute little girls on television, singing and dancing. Why her? Why not me, Mommy! I'm BETTER! Of course that attitude from my 7 year old self did not go over well with my mother. "God don't like ugly"; "You have to be humble", "Pretty is as pretty does", "No one likes a conceited person". 


Me and my Best Friend, my sister , Cindy.  Like 1979 or something


That is the one that got me. I wanted to be "liked"--desperately. I remember walking down the hall in school and hearing, "She think she cute!" I didn't want people to think that, so I worked hard to prove that I didn't. I deflected compliments.  I tried hard to prove to people that I didn't think "I was all that".  I worked hard to make people feel comfortable around me

I started this blog, twitter chat series and whatever comes, because I realize that not affirming myself hasn't served me.  In my professional life, I would feel bad when people, usually my supervisors would say, "Well, you don't want it to be all about you do you", or "It can't be the Robyne Show".  Taking credit for an idea was viewed as not being a "team player"...you know, there is no "I" in team ish.  So, I took steps back, alot, and watched as people quoted me without giving credit in speech after speech.  Don't you love when people repeat your own theories back to you?  Yeah, me neither.  

So this blog is about me claiming my passion.  Not asking permission and sharing the brilliance of the Unapologetically Flyy folks in my circle.  AND it doesn't have to be perfect---that is going to be a BIG one for me.  AND, I am opening myself up to criticism. AND if folks don't like it...Imma do it anyway until I don't like it!  Oh, that felt good to type!

Thanks for checking me out!  

I'm Flyy/You Flyy,

Robyne